Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students (SDS)
The Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students Program (SDS) provides scholarships to full-time, financially needy students from disadvantaged backgrounds, enrolled in selected health professions or nursing programs. The program is funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Bureau of Health Professions, and is available to students enrolled in the Pharm.D. program and baccalaureate Nursing at Mercer University-Atlanta campus.
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligibility for the SDS program is determined by the Financial Aid Office and is based on information provided in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who want to apply for these funds must meet each of the following eligibility criteria:
- Enroll as a full-time student, be in good standing and meet SAP requirements.
- Report parent income and asset information on the FAFSA even if an independent student.
- Be a citizen, national, or a lawful permanent resident of the United States or the District of Columbia, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico or the Marianas Islands, the Virgin Islands, Guam, the American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Federated State of Micronesia.
- Demonstrate financial need
- Not have unresolved defaults or overpayments owed on Title IV educational loans and grants
- Satisfy all Selective Service Act requirements
In addition, students applying for Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students (SDS) funds must be from a disadvantaged background as defined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). (See application.)
What is the process for applying?
- Submit your FAFSA: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Mercer School Code: 001580.
- Complete and submit a Mercer Application for Financial Assistance.
- Complete and submit an application specific to the HPSL, LDS and SDS programs with required supporting documentation. Application may be found at here.
Awards will be made as funds are available. You will be sent an award notification if the scholarship is awarded by the Office of Financial Planning.
Disbursements of Funds
Funds will credit first to your Mercer bill and any excess funds will be mailed to your permanent address.
If you meet eligibility requirements and have questions about applying, contact:
John C. Brannan
Office of Student Financial Planning
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-4155