How to Complete Your Master Promissory Note
You have been awarded a Federal Direct Loan. The Federal Direct Loan Program requires all borrowers to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before receiving any Federal Direct Loan funds. Please follow the steps below to verify completion of a MPN.
You will need the following items to complete a Master Promissory Note:
- U.S. Department of Education FSA ID
- Permanent Address, Telephone Number and Email Address
- Driver's License Number (if applicable)
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of two personal references.
- You must have known the reference for at least three years.
- References cannot share the same address or phone number.
Follow the steps below to complete the Master Promissory Note:
- Navigate to the website: www.studentloans.gov.
- Click "Log In."
- Enter your FSA ID and Password.
- Click "Complete Master Promissory Note."
- Select the appropriate loan type. Please refer to your award letter for the type(s) of loans you've been awarded (Subsidized/Unsubsidized, Grad Plus, Parent Plus).
- Enter Your Personal Information.
- Select Georgia and Mercer University in the drop-down menus of the School and Loan Information section. Mercer's Macon address and school code G01580 will appear.
- IMPORTANT: Choose the first "Mercer University" listed in the drop-down box. Do not choose a Mercer University that has a suffix attached to it (i.e., Mercer University Law).
- Enter your Personal References information.
- Read Terms & Conditions carefully.
- Review your information and sign your MPN.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have been awarded a Parent Plus Loan, your parent must also sign a Promissory Note for the PLUS Loan using their own FSA ID.
- You should receive the following message: "Thank-you for submitting the MPN". In addition you should receive a confirmation email that your MPN has been completed.
After you have completed the Master Promissory Note, our office will be notified by the U.S. Department of Education within approximately 1-2 days of completing the MPN.