Unusual Enrollment History

Unusual Enrollment History

The U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an unusual enrollment history (UEH) have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires our office to review your file in order to determine future federal financial aid eligibility. If selected by the Department of Education (via the FAFSA), this must be resolved before you will receive financial aid.

Definition of Unusual Enrollment History

The specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students includes those students who have received a Federal Pell Grant at multiple institutions during the past three academic years. Once the Department of Education indicates that a student has an unusual enrollment history, the Financial Aid office must then take action and review the academic history prior to determining federal financial aid eligibility for that student.

What Will Be Required of You

If selected, our office will notify you of what is required. We will check your financial aid history at your previous institutions that you attended during the previous three years. You are required to have received academic credit at any institution you received the Federal Pell grant while attending in those relevant academic years. You need to ensure that we have received all official transcripts for schools previously attended. These records were required at the time of admission and must be on file with the Registrar's Office for your financial aid review. Our office will verify the academic credit was received at each institution during the relevant years. If so, we will notify you that you have satisfied this requirement. If you failed to receive academic credit at any institution you received a Federal Pell grant at during the relevant award years, your federal financial aid will be denied and you will be notified.

Appeal Process

Students are able to appeal the financial aid denial by submitting an Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) Appeal Form; a letter explaining the unusual enrollment history; and, documentation to support the explanation provided in the appeal letter. This documentation will be reviewed by our office and we will notify you of the decision.

Regaining federal student aid eligibility

Students that have been denied federal student aid based on an Unusual Enrollment History Appeal have the ability to appeal to the UEH Leadership Appeal Committee. The Committee will review the initial denial once the following information is received: the student's appeal letter to determine if the situation meets the federal requirements; all transcripts for each school attended; and any appropriate documentation of the extenuating circumstances. To be considered for a second appeal, you must contact the Director of Student Financial Planning.Your letter should include any additional information and/or documentation that you want the Committee to take into consideration. These decisions of the Committee are final and are not appealable to the Department of Education.

You may also have your eligibility reinstated once you have completed one academic term consisting of six credit hours of foundation or core coursework (FDLS classes do not count toward this requirement), without financial aid assistance or at another institution.All of the coursework must be completed successfully with a semester GPA of at least a 2.0. Students must also meet the College's standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). To review the complete SAP policy, visit http://financialaid.mercer.edu/macon-campus/satisfactory-academic-progress.cfm . Please note that students may not drop or withdraw from (officially or unofficially) any course after the term begins.Once the term has been completed the student should submit a letter for reinstatement with their final grade report.

A student, who regains eligibility either by appeal or by completing a successful term, will receive financial aid beginning in the payment period that the approval is given. For example, a student who is denied in the Fall 2015 term, attends a minimum of 6 credit hours and successfully meets the stipulations at the end of the fall term will be eligible for federal aid in the Spring 2016 term.